How it Works - When Anyone, Anywhere, reaches out for help,
let the hand of AlAnon and Alateen always be there,
Let it Begin with me.
How It Works
Our Three Legacies
Recovery through the Steps * Unity through the Traditions * Service through the Concepts
Al-Anon launches podcasts to help families
For the first time, Al-Anon Family Groups are offering podcasts to families and friends of people who have a drinking problem. Podcasts are audio recordings on the Internet that are available by subscription. The podcasts entitled "First Steps to Al-Anon Recovery" are at www.al-anonfamilygroups.org. The subscriptions are free. An automated e-mail will notify subscribers each time a new instalment is posted. Our podcasts give people a private and easy way to hear what Al-Anon has to offer. The series of six podcasts contains conversations with experienced Al-Anon members who anonymously explain how they realized they needed help to deal with a loved one’s drinking. They also reveal how they overcame their fear of attending their first face-to-face Al-Anon meeting.
Al-Anon Family Groups Area Highlights Fall 2008
AlAnon Family Groups, which includes Alateen for young members, usually teenagers, neither expresses opinions on outside issues nor endorses outside enterprises. It is not a religious organization or a counseling agency. No dues or fees are required. Membership requires only that one's life has been affected by someone else's drinking.
- Not to suffer because of the actions or reactions of other people.
- Not to allow ourselves to be used or abused by others in the interest of another's recovery.
- Not to do for others what they can do for themselves.
- Not to manipulate situations so others will eat, go to bed, get up, pay bills, not drink, or behave as we see fit.
- Not to cover up for another's mistakes or misdeeds.
- Not to create a crisis.
- Not to prevent a crisis if it is in the natural course of events.
- By learning to focus on ourselves, our attitudes and well-being improve.
- We allow the alcoholics in our lives to experience the consequences of their own actions.
Reprinted by permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.